Monday, January 14, 2013

The Nickel Philosophy and Transition

One of the purposes of this blog was to help my work associates understand my frustration with the way things were going.  I kept seeing people repeat the same mistakes over and over again.  So I used this block to "vent".   Only so much venting is useful until the root-cause of the problem has to be addressed.

I addressed the root-cause and am now working on high-speed ADCs and communications again like I did from 1995-sh to 2009.  I have changed jobs and now work advanced data converters in deep-submicron processes.  My previous company had generously lifted me from Davis/Sacramento to the edge of the bay area and I am thankful for that.

I plan to keep up Street Smart Analog.  I still plan to eventually write a book on analog design and debug, with this blog as the pre-cursor.  Of course, the lack of recent posting is related to my career transition, which is now official.

The world of small component analog design including light sensors is radically different but also challenging.  I have the utmost respect for the light-sensor product line and the people I left behind working on it.  Those products have a lot of care and effort put into their development and should be the hottest selling sensors out there.  However, I couldn't remain working on that product line due to The Nickel Philosophy.  One of two things that hang's up in my cube along with the IEEE code of conduct.  The sad thing here is that this transition could have been prevented.  

I find the "Nickel Philosophy" from Jim Bracher and his associates at the Center for Integrity and Leadership to be a valuable tool in setting priorities.  I have used this material of Jim's in Lectures at both UCD and Stanford.
Link:  http://www.brachercenter.com/article_nickelphilosophy.html

The list of "effective priorities" called "The Nickel Philosophy".  There are two catagories
A.  Professional Profits:
#1  Customer service (how you treat your customers and your work mates; how are you treated)
#2.  Quality product
#3.  Career Opportunity
#4.  Motivating Environment
#5.  Everything else.. (not worth stressing about)

B.  Personal Values
#1.  Self/Significant other
#2.  Family and Friends
#3.  Heath and happiness
#4.  Difference and dollars (how you are getting by)
#5.  Everything else (not worth stressing about)

In my life at my previous employer I tried to make sure that all the people that reported into me experienced "Professional Profits".  There are a multitude of reasons behind this list, its order and how it is presented, please look over the link above.  If the place you work at does NOT follow the Nickel Philosophy AND there are other opportunities available, then the right thing to do is to move on, since you will eventually.  What is interesting about this list is that Career Opportunity is right under quality product.  It does make sense since without a motivating environment why bother about the opportunity.  This list is a "person specific" view of the problem to be clear.

Today I saw a link today shared by an HR person from the previous company:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/ericjackson/2012/01/19/why-companies-are-terrible-at-selecting-retaining-and-motivating-their-talent/

Basically this article explains why people leave and is interesting to contrast with "The Nickel Philosophy".
Eric Jackson picks 10 reasons.  Some of these items similar to Nickel Philosophy:
 #1, 2.   HR blame game and Throwing money at the problem doesn't work (Note Personal values #4, money is not listed in Professional profts)
#3,4,5,6:  Career Opportunity
#7, 9, 10:  Motivating environment
#8:  Quality product

So, if you have not done so already, spend the 5 minutes it takes to review the Nickel Philosophy link.  If you want to learn more, you can contact Jim Bracher directly through his website.   The Nickel Philosophy is also published in Jim Bracher's book Integrity Matters.  ISBN 978-1887089036

No comments:

Post a Comment